CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Ham, Spinach and Sun-Dried Tomato Calzones


I got this yummy recipe from Cookinglight.com. I made it yesterday for the first time and it was delicious! A couple of changes I would make in the future though...first of all the recipe says it yields 5 calzones but considering that my ball of dough did not look big enough, and the fact that I wanted a big one, almost the size of what you'd get in the restaurant, I decided to only make two calzones. But next time, now that I know how much filling there is, I'd probably try to roll out at least three or four calzones. ALSO, in my opinion the spinach over-powered the ham and sun-dried tomato taste a little bit, so I will not use as much spinach next time. Oh! And I did not use the fennel seeds either.

I served these with a bowl of sauce on the side, some fresh parmesan to sprinkle on top, and a tall glass of milk. Perfect!



Ham, Spinach, and Sun-Dried Tomato Calzones
Refrigerated pizza dough makes this easy to put together. Spoon warmed bottled marinara sauce over the calzones before serving, or serve sauce on the side.
Ingredients
1 cup part-skim ricotta
3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
3 ounces lean ham, chopped
6 oil-packed sun-dried tomato halves, drained and chopped
1 (13.8-ounce) can refrigerated pizza crust dough
Cooking spray
Preparation
Preheat oven to 450°.
Combine first 9 ingredients.
Divide dough evenly into 5 pieces; pat each dough piece into a 5-inch circle. Spoon about 1/2 cup spinach mixture onto half of each circle, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Fold dough over filling until edges almost meet. Bring bottom edge over top edge; crimp edges of dough with fingers to form a rim. Place calzones on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450° for 14 minutes or until browned.

7 comments:

Amy said...

Hmm, milk and calzones. Interesting combo!

Smitty76 said...

Ya know, Amy, that's my family's fault...ever since I was a kid we ALWAYS had our Italian (pasta, lasagna, etc. EXCEPT for pizza) with a glass of milk. I think it's cuz I wasn't really allowed anything else to drink with dinner (soda, juice, etc.). But now I can't have my Italian meals WITHOUT my glass of milk; LOL

Amy said...

When I go to Italy in March I'll see if the Italians are drinking milk at dinner.

Ashley said...

My parents always had me drink milk with my meals. To this day, I still have to have at least one glass of milk, usually in the mornings.

Great recipes, and great idea about a recipe blog! I post a lot of recipes, and that would be a great place to keep them all. You've inspired me!

Emiline said...

Mmm, calzones.
I guess Cooking Light thinks everyone eats like birds.

I like milk with dessert, and that's it. You probably have healthy bones.

The Fischer Family said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! That recipe sounds sooo good! I posted the recipes for the crab cakes and the quesadillas if you want to wander back over to my blog and take a look! Have a great week!

momtofivekids said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm going to have to try those calzones! sounds yummy!